After applying the decals, and letting them dry for at least a day, I airbrushed another coat of Future to seal them in. Next is the oil wash.
I use a toothpick to transfer some oil paint to the side of a pallet dimple, depositing it at the top. I then fill the same dimple with thinner. I also put some in an adjacent dimple – this thinner is used for cleaning whereas the other is for mixing the wash.
The oil wash was made using Abteilung 502 ABT110 Black and their Odourless Thinner ABT111. With the handle removed, I did the underbody first. Then with the handle installed, the ends, sides and roof were done in that order.
To begin, I brush on a thinned mixture on one of those above mentioned areas, in smaller sections using convenient boundaries (like a door or panel). The consistency looks like what is seen in the picture below – the mixture between the dimples on the pallet frame. The brush used is a small flat Tamiya #87046.
I brush it on just like paint. If I apply too much, I dab my brush onto a cloth or tissue and then I go back over the model – the brush picks the excess up.
After completing this on one end or side, I use a very fine tipped round brush (a 10/0 in this case) and a thicker-pigment wash. I apply this to selected areas – mainly brackets and fittings. This wash surrounds details easily since the surfaces are already wet from the first application.
The roof is last. I put a thicker wash on the mullions with the Tamiya flat brush. Then I use a wider clean brush dipped in clean thinner and, after removing most of the thinner, I go over the roof panel faces only, avoiding the mullions.
After leaving this to dry some hours I went back with a lightly dampened rag with thinner to remove the oil wash on the open panel areas, leaving the wash around details and in recesses. Here’s how the model looks at this point:
Next post: Final Weathering